Thursday, November 08, 2007

The speed of Digital!

Something for your mind to chew on today.

I get asked all the time if I get worried about everyone owning a digital camera these days?

The simple answer is NO.

And here's why...

Alongside digital SLR's, manufacturers are making wonderful P&S cameras with anti-shake, anti-dust, self-cleaning, built in video cameras, noise reduction....the list goes on. And for next to nothing! Which is amazing, and I'm so glad for it. It's driving down the price of the camera's that I've got on my Christmas wish list for one thing, and secondly, I'm proud to be part of an industry that is no longer so financially exclusive. It's exciting when I see 7 and 8 year olds with their own camera fighting for a spot when the bride and groom walk down the aisle!

But I digress...

My point was that despite the fact that cameras are so cheap today, packed with so much amazing shooterness (yes, shooterness!), all the basic photographic rules still apply. And if you don't know how to use to your benefit or control, you'll have a hard time 'getting the shot'. The aesthetics, the light, the composition, the attachment to the subject, when to shoot - these things haven't changed since the dawn of the photographic image. You can shoot and shoot and shoot until you're blue in the face, and say that you'll fix in photoshop, but what have you learned? You've 20 shots of the same thing with the same mistake. And you'll continue to make that mistake.

People ask me why they should pay me for my services when their uncle who owns a digital SLR, is an avid amateur, will shoot their wedding for $500 and give them all the images untouched.

Same reason you don't take your car to a plumber. It's going to seem like a plumber fixed your car.

Why would you give the responsibility of capturing the biggest day of your life to someone clearly isn't going to get you exactly what you want? You want images you will cherish the same 20 years from now as you do today.

This just emphasizes my point. It's great that everyone at a wedding today has a camera. Will they get some great shots? Yes. Will they capture some great expressions? Surely. Anyone can get lucky.

We're not in the business to get lucky. We work very hard to get you the shots that you hired us for in the first place. And do it fast. We scope out the venue, check the light against the time we'll be shooting. I storyboard all my weddings, and I have a shot list (I'm not talking about the Bride w/ Dad and Mom list) that we stick pretty closely to. We have our eye on details and moments, and using top end professional equipment that we know not many other folks in attendance will have and set us apart in that respect.

So, does it bother me that camera's are loaded with options and a ridiculous number of features and everyone owns one?

Once again, no. I'm glad that the advent of the digital era is upon us. It's allowing everyone to be able to take photos of events in their lives. Photos that will probably be around for a long, long time. Never has it been easier to upload pics to your own website or blog, or load an album into Facebook and connect with old friends or family across the world. That's truly remarkable!

Do I think I can take a better photo than the average shooter? I think that I have all the tools and knowledge and preparation to providing you with the best possible photos on your day. I think I come very well armed to give you some pretty special photos. Photos that you may not find in anyone else's album or on their wall or above their mantle.

Have a great Thursday!

Byron

2 comments:

derrickrice said...

well said byron!!

the eye is much more important than the camera, all though a good quality dslr camera matched with GREAT GLASS does help and provide more opportunity to shoot images that you couldn't before. that said, the first step is seeing the image and if you don't see it then its impossible to cature it.

i'm glad there are more amateur photographers at weddings these days with higher end dslr's, its fun to show uncle bob how to use some of features that he didn't know about before.

i just bought a point & shoot canon SD870IS(bought it in NY saved me $200:)!!)i love it!!even though its a canon..go nikon!!

the thing about owning professional gear is that its a pain in the but when you want to take it with you out on a stroll. so i bit the bullet and bought this awesome sleek and compact camera. its about the size of a deck of cards and works very well at high iso's. so i am planning on taking more day-to-day photos of what goes on around my world which is much easier to do now i have my little p&s.

what camera is on your christmas wish list?? i have a Nikon D3 on mine, i don't think i can get until mid-jan though.. i cannot wait.

hope all is well,
d

The House Across the Street said...

...and all those reasons (and more!) are why we hired YOU to be our photographer!

keep on keeping on... doing that great work that you do!

we love ya!
krista and andrew :-)