Monday, September 25, 2006

I's the by!

Sorry it's taken so long to post, but we just got back from a much needed vacation in Newfoundland! What a beautiful country we live in and I have to say, I'd be surprised that you couldn't find one place to take a picture where you'd blow it up big and hang on your wall. Unfortunately, we only spent a week there, but I finally got to meet Maureen's family that I hadn't met before. We toured the countryside, played 120 (pronounced one hundred and twenty, not one-twenty!) - a fun card game likely invented there, ate cod and I got screeched in! If you're not from NFLD, but have visited there, there is a good chance you've been 'screeched' in yourself. I won't spill the beans, just be sure to ask your Newfie friends what goes on.The top pic is a picture of lobster pot in a stage (stages are the garage like structure on the water where the cod are dried and equipment is stored, at least as I've been told).

We had a fabulous time and I want to thank all the friends and family that we stayed with, saw countryside with, played cards, and fed us (we're now on a diets again - I was addicted to partredge berries!!).


This next pic is of a whole bunch of stages. They are all painted red. Ask me if I know why....perhaps because they are so nice to look at!













I just loved the reflection of the stage and the timbers in the water of this one.













An old prop, on a rusty sea-faring vessel at dusk.



















Lobster pots (I have a few pics of them!).



















This pic was taken on an island called Fogo. We got to it by Ferry and Mo got to steer it - it was so cool. This island was incredible! The landscape was barren but had these amazing fishing villages on them. Some of the names of the villages were neat too - Joe Batt's Arm (my fave :)), Tilting, Seldom, Little Seldom, Barr'd Island! The accent was cool too - a mix of Irish and something else - the NFLD accent at it's best!



















Maureen's aunt's house - I loved this shot. I went back 3 times to shoot this one. Thanks Auntie Kay for letting us stay and taking care of us - we love you!!



















This was from our trip down to the ocean itself. I dipped my feet in the Atlantic ocean for the first time ever! We tried a few boring poses, but it wasn't working for me, so we added a little pizzazz and this is one of the best ones. Girl's got hops!



















This is probably one of the most spectacular vista's I have ever come across. We were in Bonavista and driving over a hill to see another site when we came across these horses grazing just feet from the ocean, near cliffs with a 100 foot drop! The sun was just beginning to set and the light was perfect, so I had to stop. I still can't believe it...













A proud fisherman and his catch!













The gorgeous lighthouse in Bonavista. Something I'll never forget.



















The cliffs approaching the cape at Bonavista. This is just a day after Hurricane Florence...like she'd never been there.













Sunset in Bonavista harbour. If you look close you can see a gull zooming by.













An abandoned vessel. They littter the coast.













Just loved the colour of this one :)




















Can't get enough of those beautiful reflections. Something so serene in the water there...














Newfoundland and Canadian flags side-by-side. This was painted onto the back of a fishing boat.













Well, that's my post for now, hopefully I can post a lot more for you to see again soon!

Take care and keep shooting!

Byron

No comments: